Also, I'm setting this all up prior to the library's opening, so that helps. Lights in the building flash on at 8:43--yes, I have been sitting in the (relative) dark in here since 8:15.
What I'm doing between questions: checking the most recent Death Dates list(s) against our catalog, and checking my buying areas of our collection against the latest Public Library Core Collection (a.k.a. PLCAT).
9:00 in the children's room
- Two girls arrive, looking for the "Horse Diaries" series [no one in our consortium owns, so I do a request and get a name to contact when we get them]
- They are also looking for their "first library card" pictures in the bin--Mom eventually finds them because they do look different from a year ago ;-)
- "Where can I look something up in the catalog?" [I point him to the dedicated computers, rather than the Internet stations]
- Pencil [same guy]
- "How many items on a specific subject can I check out?" [same guy]
- Nope, gotta check out everything at the front desk [same guy--really, there are other people here, but they're doing their own things]
10:00 in the children's room
- Page comes in here to run this morning's picklist
- One of my favorite patrons--whose wife has the same disease as the one my sister had--passes through with a cheerful greeting
- How to look up children's books in the catalog
- Sign up an adorable little guy for SRP
- How to get online, and what the games computers have on them [yup: games]
- Prizes for two little ones...