Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Wednesday

What I'm doing between questions: praying that it stays very quiet and no one asks anything complicated tonight: we're short (again) and my eyes are having a very bad time with focusing on things like spine labels and computer screens. Otherwise, switching over to the Updated Subject List since I'm all caught up with Death Dates; well, with checking them in the catalog.

6:00
  • Fermentation (for a college lab report) [why she is not at a college library I don't know]
  • I make an announcement about a car in the lot that was apparently parked by a drunken asshat...er, a very nice older gentleman [once we know it's his car, I just tell him he's gotta not park on the sidewalk in the future, please]
  • Our paranoid letter-writer has been here, literally, all day doing something online [she called last night to make sure it was ok if she used the computer all day to type her genealogy into some governmental site--whatever that means] 
  • And our Weds night group home folks arrive: Wild Wild West (as in books on), Halloween, fire engines, Zoom! [I have to ILL the last one]
  • It's hotter than heck--on goes the fan that is always here now
  • Oooh, Ms. Paranoia is gone! yay
  • Soundtrack from "Ice Castles" (hello, my early teenage years!!!) [another ILL to do]
  • How many magazines can be checked out at once? [no limit]
7:00
  • Librarian KT is walking around like the ground is made of eggshells [sciatica flare up]; she can't walk, I can't see, together we make one semi-functional librarian
  • "How do I log out of Yahoo mail now?"[I show him] then welding books, then National Geographics
  • Call about Free: Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff request [audible download only; no book, no CD--but now I know that she watches Bill Maher, as do I]
  • Eraser ... oh, and pen?
  • Tech calls to let me know that Ms. Paranoia has left the director another note. Sealed inside an envelope so we will have to wait till tomorrow to find out what's buzzing around her brain today...sigh
  • "I got a call that the things I requested are here" [thump on the desk goes her giant bag purse--I explain that they are up front, after I ascertain that these "things" are books/DVDs/etc. not something extremely weird we might actually have here at Reference; she looks moderately put out and not sure she should trust me]
  • Different tech comes past on an errand and asks if we can tell from a cancelled hold where something came from [I check my record of cancellations...apparently not, which is weird]
  • Go on my mid-shift wander to make sure no one is naked or dead anywhere in the building, and pick up 3 more reserves from circ, all for DVDs
8:00
  • People using study room sign out
  • "Where are the restrooms?" [point and explain]
  • An hour till closing announcement
  • "Can I use a study room?" [sure, why not?]
  • Refill all the paper in printers/copiers/etc.
  • It's dead in here, just a matter of the computers shutting down and herding the stragglers to the door...
  • Dude in the study room is NOT leaving....grrr...ah now he is
    DONE
__________
We are finally getting shook of Librarian J a.k.a. Crazy Cat Lady. This is her last week of work. So of course she took today off. Weird that she hasn't had to call in sick once she she scheduled the rest of her time off so carefully. Anyway, that's why I'm going to be on the desk more often for the foreseeable future, especially on Weds. nights when she normally held things down here. So it's a trade-off, but overall, no one's exactly sad to see her leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.