Sunday, February 25, 2018

Sunday

What I'm doing between questions: in the children's room I was ordering our Next Month's Bestsellers orders (Books and AV) and doing a pass-through on the next Audiobook order I'll need to place. Once I get to the adult area, I'm busy enough that I start looking at reviews but don't get far.

1:00 [in the children's room]
  • Close/Lock children's bathroom doors as we open.
  • Talk to Librarian C about splitting the desk hours, and then put out all of today's newspapers, dropping one with patron RR who will collect a list of books from the reviews sections and give them to me later
  • Smile [the copy on the shelf isn't there, so I go get one of the SIX (!) in storage]
  • On the way to and from storage, I direct one person to the second copier in the back of the building, and help another person with the first copier
  • Sort out transactions tally sheet for the day
  • Random semi-homeless woman is wandering through for some reason....go away! [somehow my unspoken command works!!]
  • Two tweener girls come in look around and then head to the YA area
  • Family of 5 kids + Mom arrive; the older kids immediately sign on to play Roblox while Mom and toddler ask for the train set and go play, analog-style
  • My Many-Colored Days and I Am Not Going to Get Up Today [all our shelved copies are out, or MIA, so I send her to Circ for them to check storage for either/both]

2:00 [in the children's room till 2:30, then adult]
  • [phone] "Car crash. I'm fine. Books I had in the car are long gone with the car, though. What do I do?" [I transfer her back to Circ since I'm not sure what our policy is on sad stories like this--I mean, obviously, she has fines and overdues, but are we going to charge for the books? I don't know...]
  • Changing of the Guard: nothing of major import to exchange info about
  • "How many books can I check out?" [not really a limit] "Even if my card is from [next town over]?" [Yep, all good--load up the truck!]
  • Oldie patron, who's been coming here forever, needs a local train schedule ... and then a guest pass because the trains are on Sunday schedule (i.e. there are fewer) so she has time to kill
  • Another regular patron stops to say bye: she looks more depressed every time I see her...kinda worried about her
  • [phone] Multiple new title reserves from one of my absolutely favorite patrons
  • Hours and phone number for local antiques place; PLUS compliment about how these out-of-towners like our library

3:00
  • Card number [she has a fine, and nothing but a debit card, so she has to lug her infant back up front to pay so she can get online; I feel bad]
  • Mom comes over to print, tweener-ish (?) kid meets her and lingers by the desk long enough to whisper to me, "You're an awesome librarian!" [Pull it together woman: open weeping is frowned upon at the Reference Desk!]
  • Turn on cameras to survey the array of actual study-ers...in prep for closing
  • Favorite book illustrator walks past on his way out [he's turning gray, but still hot]
  • I go share the compliment from the kid with Librarian C since I didn't actually do anything to earn it, and maybe she did [nope, but we're splitting it]
  • Pen? [Have mine]
  • Trade quarter for another quarter; printer kiosk didn't like his
  • [Next Town Over] Woman has collected four shopping baskets of materials on a table; I hope to hell she actually takes them all and hasn't just organized them for us to reshelve....
  • Three specific books on cutting; his card's expired, so I fill out the requests and send him up front to renew his card so I can attach the requests to his online record afterwards
  • White-out? [not today--it's not something we keep around, but we should]
  • Chat with one of our regulars
  • Cutting dude is back, looking for Rosetta Stone for Italian [I show him our new Transparent Language database and he says he'll try it out
  • "I left a thumb-drive in the public computer yesterday..." [got it, and no, I don't have the cover to it because THAT wasn't in the slot, Ding-Dong]
  • Closing announcement
  • Shopping baskets are headed to the circ desk, one by one...how the heck is she planning to carry all this to her car??

No comments:

Post a Comment

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.