Wednesday, April 06, 2005

9:00 a.m. - ?? [11:00 a.m. as it turns out]

What I'm doing between questions: order cards, ILL orders
9:00 -- Sick baby means Librarian H isn't here today; that in turn means I'm on desk till sometime ... 11? 12?

* Nice man, a regular, volunteers to take today's papers to the reading room for me
* Baseball biography videos
[Circ person brings me a jobs posting and utters the kiss of death: "It's really quiet back here!"]
* Patron arrives with catalog: "Can I reserve things here?" But she brought the wrong catalog and is relying on memory: a Welsh singer, maybe named Celeste...? [after some searching, I show her a picture of Charlotte Church on Google Images and she decides that's who she meant]
* Same patron wants to know how to access her account at home; and she practices here on our catalog terminals [very wise]
* Add money to SAM account
* SAM registration
* Charlotte Church Lady asks how to renew items she has checked out

10:00

* CCL asks if our access to city papers also provides access to their classified ads [no]
* Family member calls for an update
* CCL is back: 1) Can we make it so that books returned in the bookdrop after hours aren't overdue? [talk to the director] - - 2) How come our after-hours reference service can't look up my record? [because they aren't in this building] - - 3) I can't remember my Yahoo Mail password; how can I get back in to check my mail? [I show her how] -- -- [she's my new best friend...sigh]
* [phone--"call on line 1;" it's gone...]
* SAM visitor registration [definitely from a big city]
* Can she borrow tape? [lots of tape]
[There is a message flashing--that's where that call went!--from someone who is taking a real estate test here; she has questions. I call her back and leave her a message]
*[phone--someone else calling about a real estate test. Spooky]
* Out of towner pays for print jobs
* Information on pacemakers for an English paper [ooo-keeey]
* CCL wants me to waive one of her "oops" print jobs [no can do, but I show her "Print Preview"]
* Pacemaker dude can't see full text...because it's blocked on the PCs [naturally, our IT guy isn't here today]
* [phone] Reserve two Linda Lael Miller books

I've been reprieved by Librarian K!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.