Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2:00 - 4:00 ; 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.

What I'm doing between questions: hah! School district art show is up, so random people are wandering around looking for 'their' art (or their kids'). Public Library Core Collection 2011 has arrived so I do some desultory checking in my buying areas. Oh, and reading Autocat postings.
2:00
  • Yesterday's problem patron (drunk & disorderly) having trouble accessing his internet account due to fines on library card [Circ Supervisor notes that he is making payments but still owes almost $40, so SAM won't let him online--day-pass a-go-go for him...and yes, he's been drinking cheap beer again]
  • "Do I have to register to use a study room?" [nope]
  • Scratch paper
  • Wireless access + "can I use a study room?" [yep, and yep...both these questions from people over 30, probably doing business]
  • iPad--ebooks--long, but good, discussion of issues
  • Pay for print  [yes we have a color printer]
  • Card catalog [the one he usually uses has someone at it]
  • [phone] Journey of Souls which I swear I already ILL'd for patron...after much searching I can find no trace of it [I end up thinking I requested for purchase, so I redo that]
  • Pay for printing
  • Borrow a calculator
  • Scratch paper
  • How to use internet [card is expired, so she has to renew at circ]
  • Pay for printing
  • [realize I'm logged in to Librarian K's email by accident, so everything I've sent from this desk has been 'from' someone else--what a dork I am!]
3:00
  • Pay for printing
  • Fatal Vows [can't believe we don't own this--guess where we are??--but I ILL it for her from one of the many libraries in the area that do have it]
  • Second comment of the day that all our ebooks are 'checked out' with dozens of holds....yay [:-(]
  • [I save this document now, because last week I did two hours out here and deleted the whole damn (long) post just before I saved it....]
  • Calculator returned, and lengthy discussion of the Jim Carrey Grinch movie with a tweener and why it is checked out...still [he asked for it a couple of weeks ago; I eventually check IMdB and find that it will air on ABCFamily on Friday...parents pay for cable/satellite, but he doesn't have a library card?]
  • Map from Fpt to Blt [found, printed, done + he paid!]
  • Pay for printing
  • [text from DH that his cortizone shot is done and he's headed home, courtesy of The Kid]
  • Pay for printing [newbie]
  • "How much to fax?"
  • Pen [last three=same guy]
6:00 [in the children's room]
  • [I suggest people looking at the art show panels that they might find what they are looking for elsewhere--this stuff is everywhere!]
  • Pinewood Derby designs & patterns [our copy MIA--I reserve a copy from another library in our consortium]  
  • James & the Giant Peach [on the shelf! Yay!]
  • [Autocat topics under discussion: vodou/voodoo/vodun, discovery (in a technology sense), RDA (endlessly endlessly endlessly), and cataloging an issue of journal as monograph. Who says catalogers aren't fun? Anyway, I'm caught up]
  • [Clean-up time in the Land of Toys...]

1 comment:

  1. I get the "fine I'll just buy it then" response when our stuff is checked out, pretty often, from "the sort of people" who won't pay .10 because it's a crime against humanity.

    The "ebooks are all unavailable" problem - ugh. I don't like to be like this, but sometimes it seems we can't win.

    ReplyDelete

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.