Monday, February 20, 2012

1:00 - 2:00 ; 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

What I'm doing between questions: filling ILL requests, subject headings cleanup
1:00
  • Today's WSJ [don't have it because it comes in the mail and today is President's Day]
  • How to get online
  • "There are no headphones..." [I give her the backup pair and when she asks why there aren't any, I tell her that people steal them; she's astounded: "WHY?!"] ; then she doesn't know where to plug them in
  • How to print (the "how to get online" woman)
  • Fascinating: a couple walks in looking for internet access...clearly looking for two computers next to each other, at least one of which needs to not be visible or near me (or other nosy eyes)...ppl r weerd
  • [phone] Three titles, all checked out, that I placed holds on
  • I've now officially dealt with BOTH of Librarian C's Crazies: this one needs constant attention while she does her family tree...back to Magog and "Scathans," i.e. Scythians...good thing there are other crazy-ass people on the internet who are ALSO into this!
  • Pay to print, and "I haven't ever had to pay before...?" [uhm yeah, you have, ya dingdong]
  • Tax forms [What Do I Need?? panicked young person]
  • The Guy Who Called the Cops a few weeks ago "for me" is now my best friend, and has a concern he wants to discuss, but "later" {head-desk}
  • Typewriter [I log him on to SAM and show him how to get into Word instead, for his resume]
  • A very excited young man has loads of questions about our International Film Night, which I do my best to answer; he walks away after saying, "Gee, I wish my college did this!"
4:00 in the children's room
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the movie [all checked out, so I place a hold]
  • "My daughter's looking for a book, but she's too embarrassed to ask you..." [can't remember title, but the daughter remembers that it starts with D about a cure for love at age 18...on the best YA books of 2011...Delirium!!]; and then a longish discussion of good books to read next, and I show her Novelist and talk about The Hunger Games and Philip Pullman, and Scott Westerfeld and James Dashner....
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever [all checked out, wants it now...oh well]
  • Books on Einstein [got 'em]
  • Scratch paper
  • Bathroom key ... and some help using it
  • [Nope, no extra ports open out here, Librarian T.]
  • [phone] Renew items
  • [it's 4:30 -- Yikes!]
  • Magic Tree House books [I walk him over]
  • [phone] Staff member's daughter/One of former babysitters...[miss her]
  • Print release computer is borked--I have to restart it

No comments:

Post a Comment

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.