Thursday, March 29, 2012

9 a.m. - 12 p.m.

What I'm doing between questions: end-of-month new clean-up project lists.

9:00 in the children's room
  • [phone] Renew overdue book
  • I start doing weird happy-dancing in my chair because I just figured out how to Select All and Copy in Chrome (now just wondering why they make it so hard to find) [Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C]
  • Bathroom keys for cleaning dude
  • CT arrives to ask about a book that we show in WorldCat as owning but it isn't in our catalog yet [that's because we JUST got it, and I JUST added us to the holdings list, but it hasn't yet been added....duh, come on, this isn't new....]
  • [phone] "I'm sorry to bother you, but I need to number for ...tax...blah blah" [I transfer her to the main reference desk, because I'm basically too lazy tired to deal with her--she's a regular caller]

10:00 in the children's room
  • [phone] Real estate test...needs to schedule time to take it [I transfer to reference since that's where the schedule is]
  • ...I hear either tools or garbage hitting the floor in the main library...what's going on?
  • Six kids walk in at once and start logging in to the internet...mom eventually shows up too
  • Pay to print (2 cards, for some of those 6 kids)
  • 10:45 and I realize I never logged onto the computer at my desk in the workroom
  • How to print

11:00
  • OK, it's much more normal out here compared to yesterday afternoon...
  • "Do you have educational stuff to do for kids?" [like games?] Yes. [for preschool, yes, not so much for older kids...] "Can I get on the internet?" [she can't find her card, so I look it up...and she owes over $80 for books never returned, so...no, no internet for her]
  • "Is there a problem with the ethernet today?" [not that I'm aware of, but I ask the IT guy, who says "why isn't he just using the wireless?"--can I shoot him?--but he also says someone has nearly broken that plug-in so it may very well be loose]
  • Books on Pedro Menéndez de Avilés for a report [yeah, we have ONE book, with ONE tiny paragraph on him--why can't teachers learn not to be jerks?]
  • Novels in verse (or "verse novels" as he says) [for an assignment--I show him Ellen Hopkins but he doesn't really want to read about drugs, and they are pretty fat books too--we settle on something by Sonya Sones]

No comments:

Post a Comment

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.