Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday

What I'm doing between questions: proofing the library's disaster plan before our discussion tomorrow at training day.

9:00 [filling in for Librarian K who ?sat on his glasses this morning]
  • Fax
  • [run to the back to eat my breakfast so I don't start gnawing on people's fingers out here]
  • Pay to print and some political commentary to go with [yay, not]
  • Schedule person comes to tell me that I'll be here longer than I/we originally thought
  • Scratch paper
  • How to print
  • ...I just noticed a little baby who's probably been here 10 minutes at least...quiet little one
  • Pencil
  • "My computer shut down and I lost everything and now I can't get back online because they say I'm still logged in" [plug was barely in and she kicked it by mistake...grrr...people suck, but I renew her time and reboot that computer]
10:00 [still filling in]
  • Baby and her daddy leave when she starts fussing
  • Pencil returned
  • Forgot PIN
  • Pay to print and a little help
  • Stapler
  • 10:32 and K is back!!
5:00 [now filling in for Librarian J who somehow still has vacation time to burn]
  • Pay to print
  • Patron standing by printers, then pounces on computer when printing people leave....oh, I guess we're full up on the public computers [moderately unusual for a weekday, though not at this time of day I guess
  • ...and it's actually nearly silent: no phones, no loud music, no talking, no giggling...just tippy-tapping keys and an occasional murmur from some kids down the way
  • Librarian C looking for People to read while she's at dinner (someone beat her to it!)
  • Yet another book about The American Dream [I place hold on the copy in the consortium and write up a request for purchase]
  • [phone from J] "Who's the author of the Scaredy Squirrel books?" [uhm, well...I guess she can't figure out how to spell "scaredy" to look in the catalog? It's Mélanie Watt, by the way]
  • I hear noises behind me [dude using the local prospectuses (prospecti??) littering the counter there--once he walks away I check: road improvement "Incidental Take Submittal for the State Threatened Species ...."]
  • Help with printing
  • [phone] Werewolf (doesn't introduce herself, but I can tell from the subject matter) needs the street address for the Salt Lake Tribune to write them about an article they published in 1996 [I suppose I could see if I could do more research on the article for her. Or not]
  • Waiting list dude...wondering where the chairs went that used to be here for waiting [we moved them so Mr. Ick wouldn't sit in them all day, not that I told the patron this]
  • Fax
  • Help printing a document: no color option for printing...WTF?! [I print it from the desk after saving it to a flash drive and renewing her time for 10 minutes just in case]
  • While I'm doing that, Impatient and Crabby Woman demands more time [I say I can't because so many computers are in use; "There are three empty ones right there! I will lose everything I've typed!" I renew her for a half an hour, and she stomps off. She'd stomp off if I handed her a Tiffany necklace though, so...]
  • "Did anyone turn in a flash drive in the last few days?" [I dump the box of leftover ones on the counter for him to paw through, but he doesn't find his]
  • Guest pass for internet
  • Renew time [I can this time, but I have to explain the whole hour-a-day vs.up-to-3-hours-if-we-aren't-busy thing], and then he needs help figuring out how to lock his computer and some other stuff
  • Librarian M walks past about 4 minutes later and I confirm that the 1 vs. 3 hour thing is still true. Yes.
  • Pay to print
  • I clean up flash drives and restore them to their corner of tech purgatory

No comments:

Post a Comment

On-topic comments welcome.
Abuse and off-topic ramblings will very likely be deleted.